Last week John and Kenny from Kusiak Music met up in NYC to attend some of the Cinema Eye Honors Awards events. If you aren't familiar with Cinema Eye Honors, it fills a non-fiction gap in the other annual film awards of the season.
For example, the Oscars only have "Best Documentary Feature" and "Best Documentary Short Subject." However, Cinema Eye awards documentary achievements in directing, cinematography, score, et cetera.
Since John won Best Score for Tabloid in 2012, he is now a voting member.
John was also invited to be in the CEH "kitchen cabinet," which will meet periodically to discuss improvements of the program going forward, and he attended a luncheon hosted by Netflix where some initial awards were given.
He and Kenny went to the Awards Night Ceremony together where most awards were given out.
- Meeting the composer for the hypnotic Dawson City: Frozen Time, Alex Somers
- Meeting the talented animators (Matt and Shawna Schultz) who worked on Chasing Coral
- Meeting Soeren Steen Jesperson, producer of the award winning Last Men in Aleppo
- Meeting Alan Jacobsen, the cinematographer for Strong Island, winner of many awards
- Seeing When We Were Kings in 35mm (recipient of the 2017 Legacy Award)
- Reconnecting with friends (see picture above) and making new ones